Selma native, Tuskegee University student working to help tornado victims in Tuscaloosa | Community Spirit
Ashlyn Goodwin, age 19 of Selma has started a program to assist tornado victims in Tuscaloosa - Toiletries for Tuscaloosa. She is a 2010 graduate of Selma High and Valedictorian of her class .
"I have friends in Tuscaloosa and was a student at the University of Alabama last summer for a rural health project," said Goodwin.
"I wanted to do something to help those folks and do something different."
According to Ashlyn, "Everyone is giving money. I want to give things they need that runs out quickly, like toiletries."
She’s looking for things like deodorant, soap, slippers, toothbrushes, tooth paste, Kleenex and toilet paper. Goodwin is at home on a break from school and wanted to do something with her time to help others. She is a student at home from Tuskegee University where she is majoring in Biology and pre-dental.
"Helping the people in Tuscaloosa is close to my heart because last summer I went to all the places affected by the tornado," said Goodwin.
I am asking our community to come together and spread the word about this program and help Miss Goodwin get the things she needs to assist the tornado victims of Tuscaloosa. Call her at 334-419-7562 to see what she needs, then drop the items off at the Selma Dallas County Public Library.
"I will take the toiletries to Tuscaloosa myself to make sure it gets to the people who needs it. I want to see their faces when they get items we collected here in Selma," said Goodwin.
Top Tuskegee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- More than 250 rural road and bridge projects scheduled under new Bentley program
- The 2013 Chunnenuggee Fair is tomorrow!
- MPD investigating fatal shooting on Brookview Drive
- Downtown Montgomery site to be renovated, called the "40 Four Building"
- MPD investigating Montgomery's 25th homicide of 2013
- Make It an Artful Summer at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts during Week-Long Art Camps
- Get your kids off the couch with AUM summer camps
- Fmr. Tallassee Asst. Police Chief convicted on 'numerous' felony ethics violations
- New hope seen to resurrect Hotel Talisi
- Montgomery Symphony Orchestra members teach workshop at Tallassee’s Southside Middle School
- Tallassee middle school students 'visited by history'
- Tallassee middle school students brighten day for nursing home residents