4 Tuskegee Airmen honored at Michigan base event | Events
HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Southeastern Michigan's Selfridge Air National Guard Base is hosting four original members of the Tuskegee Airmen on Tuesday.
The base in Macomb County's Harrison Township says the four World War II veterans will be guests of honor at noon at the Selfridge Base Community Council lunch meeting.
The guests are retirees Col. Charles McGee and Lt. Cols. Alexander Jefferson, Washington Ross and Harry Stewart Jr.
They were members of the famed African American air unit, the Tuskegee, Ala.-based 332nd Fighter Group. Selfridge says they will lead a discussion panel after the viewing of a short clip from a movie about the group's triumphs while facing racism and segregation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Top Tuskegee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- National Tae Kwon Do champion from Tallassee
- Authorities kill "nuisance" gator on Rifle Range Road
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallassee City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallapoosa County schools
- 3 suspects in Tallassee child sex abuse case have first court hearing