More than 50 arrested in "Operation Macon Waves" | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA- Law enforcement sent a strong message to drug dealers Friday that they can't hide, and they proved their point with dozens of arrests.
The huge bust was part of "Operation Macon Waves", as it focused on Macon County. But geographic borders didn't slow down agents who activated the plan Friday morning. Officers made arrests in Lee, Elmore and Tallapoosa counties as well.
At last check agents had made more than fifty arrests, but they're still searching for others. They have warrants for more than 100 people, so the arrests are expected to increase.
Officers confiscated marijuana, cocaine, 4 cars, guns and a large amount of cash. The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board led the effort, but operatives from more than a dozen agencies were involved.
Officers who were involved said the operation was an example teamwork. "It means a tremendous amount to our citizens," said Tallapoosa County Sheriff Jimmy Abbett, "to let them know that we are still attacking the drugs on the street." Sheriff Abbett said resources are limited, so when agencies can come together it's "tremendous".
Macon County Sheriff David Warren called the operation "a blessing", adding that he wanted to thank "everyone who's putting themselves out there to make Alabama a better place to live."
The operation was thorough and investigators took their time planning it out. More than six months of undercover work went into the plan. Officers say they made undercover purchases from the suspects during that time.
Officers say they won't stop the drug trafficking all together, but they will continue to work to make their communities safer.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Tuskegee Stories
Upcoming Events near Tuskegee
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- More than 250 rural road and bridge projects scheduled under new Bentley program
- The 2013 Chunnenuggee Fair is tomorrow!
- Bullock County's unemployment rate for March
- Make It an Artful Summer at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts during Week-Long Art Camps
- Get your kids off the couch with AUM summer camps
- Montgomery County Clean-Up day and Memorial Day Observance this weekend in Pike Road
- Deck collapse underscores dangers of overcrowding
- Returning serviceman surprises his kids at school
- New hope seen to resurrect Hotel Talisi
- Montgomery Symphony Orchestra members teach workshop at Tallassee’s Southside Middle School
- Tallassee middle school students 'visited by history'
- Tallassee middle school students brighten day for nursing home residents
- Bond set for Tallassee man accused of sexually abusing 8 kids