Victoryland moves toward reopening | News
MACON CO., AL (WSFA)- Victoryland moved one step closer today to re-opening its doors.
A demonstration of new bingo machines was held for the media and for elected officials invited by Macon County Sheriff David Warren. The purpose of the demonstration was to show how the machines work. Macon County Sheriff David Warren said he's seen the machines and considers them legal electronic bingo.
Casino owner Milton McGregor has installed more than 1,000 of the new gambling
machines in anticipation of reopening what was once the state's largest
Victoryland had 6,000 machines before closing in 2010 under pressure from the governor's gambling task force. The casino maintained that its games were legal electronic bingo, but the task force labeled them illegal slots.
A liquor license has also been applied for and the Alabama Beverage Control Board did an on-site walk through inspection at Victoryland today. An ABC spokesman says that, once the paperwork from the inspection is submitted, the license could be issued as early as Friday of this week.
Victoryland owner Milton McGregor told WSFA 12 News last week that he hopes to re-open the casino before the end of this year.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
AP contributed to this story.
Top Tuskegee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- New hope seen to resurrect Hotel Talisi
- Montgomery Symphony Orchestra members teach workshop at Tallassee’s Southside Middle School
- Tallassee middle school students 'visited by history'
- Tallassee middle school students brighten day for nursing home residents
- Bond set for Tallassee man accused of sexually abusing 8 kids