Family: 59-year-old relative died in large Tuskegee house fire | News
TUSKEGEE, AL (WSFA) - Family members say 59-year-old Yvonne Mount-Redd died in a house fire on South Main Street in Tuskegee Thursday. Compounding the family's grief, they say the nearest fire hydrant was at least a half mile away, keeping firefighters from quickly putting out the blaze.
Tuskegee fire fighters and crews from surrounding departments were called to the scene of the fire Thursday afternoon. The black smoke coming from the roof quickly turned to bright orange flames that engulfed the entire house.
Units were able to stop the flames from spreading to nearby house, but the burning house was a total loss.
State fire officials say they will begin to sift through the rubble once the scene is safe, and they have yet to officially confirm any fatalities.
WSFA 12 News reporter Bryan Henry is speaking with family members and will have their reaction in reports at 4, 5 and 6.
A witness on the scene took numerous photos of the burning home, starting with photos of thick, black smoke billowing from the roof. The photos captured the scene as the bright orange flame began to eat through the top of the roof and ultimately covered the entire structure.
A slideshow of the photos can be seen by CLICKING HERE.
The photos, taken by Deborah McGregor with AppleHeart Community Health Initiatives, numbered in the hundreds, though WSFA 12 News chose only a sample of the images for publication.
Authorities have not determined a cause to the blaze.
WSFA 12 News will update this story as more information becomes available.
Top Tuskegee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- National Tae Kwon Do champion from Tallassee
- Authorities kill "nuisance" gator on Rifle Range Road
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallassee City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallapoosa County schools
- 3 suspects in Tallassee child sex abuse case have first court hearing