Lein appointed Alabama State Parks Director | Public Spaces
Gregory M. Lein has been appointed by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (ADCNR) as the new director of the State Parks Division. Lein is a native of Huntsville, Ala., and attended Auburn University for both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Most recently he served as assistant director of Alabama State Lands, also a division of ADCNR, where he was heavily involved in managing the Forever Wild Land Trust Program.
Conservation Commissioner N. Gunter Guy Jr. said Lein’s selection is a reflection of his adept managerial and leadership skills. “Greg is a diligent, enthusiastic leader in our Department. Under his guidance, Forever Wild and other programs have flourished. I have no doubt he will bring those same skills to the Parks Director position.”
Lein says that outdoor recreation, the heart of the Alabama State Parks mission, is something very important to him. “My interests in conservation and outdoor recreation stem from childhood experiences on the family farm, the Boy Scouts, youth programs within the YMCA and the United Methodist Church, and the backdrop of Monte Sano and Green Mountain where I was raised,” he said. “I enjoy camping, backpacking, birding, hiking, paddling, mountain biking, gardening, fishing and hunting.
“I firmly believe that my personal interests and career choice are a result of my youthful adventures in the outdoors and access to public lands such as Monte Sano State Park and many of Alabama’s waterways. Access to our nation’s natural resources is part of our identity as Americans. I believe that the stewardship of these natural resources and the access we provide the public within our State Parks is a very important mission, and one I am honored to lead with our Parks’ employees,” Lein added.
The Alabama State Parks system is comprised of 22 parks spread throughout the state. The facilities range from resort parks with lodges and golf courses to smaller, day-use parks. Most offer camping and other recreational opportunities. Lein replaces Mark Easterwood, who retired as Alabama State Parks Director in late 2011.
The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through five divisions: Marine Police, Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR, visit www.outdooralabama.com.
Source: Outdoor Alabama, Official Web site of the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Top Tuskegee Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- Father Purcell Memorial Exceptional Children's Center
- 3 arrested in connection with Montgomery's 23rd homicide of 2013
- New hope seen to resurrect Hotel Talisi
- Montgomery Symphony Orchestra members teach workshop at Tallassee’s Southside Middle School
- Tallassee middle school students 'visited by history'
- Tallassee middle school students brighten day for nursing home residents
- Bond set for Tallassee man accused of sexually abusing 8 kids